We were in Barcelona for a long weekend in April (ages ago now). We were at the Gaudi park when we passed by a couple and I overheard the man say to his lady-friend, 'they're American.' For some reason, I felt outraged that someone would "peg" us as Americans. We live in Europe now dammit. We were even dressed like we lived in Europe (not frequently the case). So, how could this guy pick us out of the crowd as Americans? I blamed Joe's height. Honestly.
Then, I got to thinking about this Travel & Leisure January 2009 edition ;) article I read a while back. It's about tourist traps, places that attract throngs of people (even us Americans) and our attitudes about them. I've felt the exact same way the author has, that popularity or the presence of throngs of tourists somehow detracts from the authenticity of the place. Of course, greatness attracts a crowd. Now sometimes, simply a crowd attracts a crowd and all there is to see is a person in white face, trapped in an invisible box...but I digress. The article wraps up by pointing out a staggering fact; 'considering that only 28% of Americans have passports, you sort of have to hand it to anyone who leaves home in the first place, no matter how often they show up in your photos...'
We're part of that lucky 28% that takes full advantage of our American passport & the doors it has opened for us. So, here's to you stranger man from the Gaudi park, we'll be seeing a lot more tourists like you in the upcoming month, so just get ready for this American couple (who sometimes look a bit Euro) to be part of the throngs right along with you.
No comments:
Post a Comment