Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Ode to the DLP

Today you are 24 weeks old. You weigh barely above 1 pound, but you've somehow tacked 14 pounds onto me. Thank you kindly. We saw the doctor again yesterday about you. We've seen you five times and have really been feeling you moving about for the past 4 weeks, but you get a bit shy when your father puts his hand on my belly. Although, you move around enough that sometimes, he can see you shake my stomach. For some god-forsaken reason, you really like to get frisky when I lay down for bed. No matter the time I lay down, you feel the urge to partake in a sadistic aerobics routine at my expense.

Your father & I know we are extremely blessed to have you, while simultaneously feeling scared shitless sometimes. We're pretty convinced our lives were damn near perfect before you & are sometimes a bit skeptical that you are going to make them even better. This will most certainly be the reality of it though.

Last time, at our 20 week appointment, Dr. Hammer showed us your femur on the scan. After the appointment, your father noted that it looked exceptionally long to him (on this, his first time seeing a baby femur). However, during our visit yesterday with Dr. Hammer, he did show us your femur again and made a comment that is was long. I asked if he was serious and he said, well, it's above average. This whole femur business is making your father extremely proud.

It's hard to take seriously discussing names for you, when you are so clearly the DLP. We're obviously excited to meet you someday, but for now, we're happy that day is not today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful celebration of DLP!!! So glad to hear that everything continues to go well. I must admit, I got tears in my eyes when reading about Joe being proud of the long femur! : ) And just wait...your lives will be infintely more happy when DLP finally arrives! We love that little baby already!

Oma and "shithead" (Ron's own words, everyone!)