The excessive amount of staring people do here finally got to me in a big bad way. Joe & I went to the gym on Thursday night & he decided to run while I lifted legs. Firstly, I am a woman lifting. Secondly, I am not doing the "pre-sanctioned lifting workout" that every other woman does (the trainers at the gym prescribe the same crappy routine for everyone). So, I was doing squats & dead lifts & I am noticing people are staring at me, but whatever, none of them are too close. So, it is my last set of dead lifts and there is a man standing not even 4 feet away completely staring at me. I mean, I turned over gave him a look, and he continued to stare. Finally I yelled at him in English, "just f*ing workout." He was clearly stunned, but responded "it's just different." So now I am even more fired up, and as I continue with my routine I started to think maybe I should apologize or whatever. So, I go tell Joe what happened & he said go apologize, so I went over and apologized & the guy was just like well no women here do that type of workout with such good form. And, I was just like "I get that, but that doesn't mean you can just stare." His response, "yeah, we tend to do that here." Just like, well, that's the way it is. But good thing I apologized, because turns out he is a trainer at one of the gym's other locations & he teaches Pilates at our gym, so yeah, would be kind of awkward if I happened to walk in his class sometime....
Clearly, the staring has been bothering me for a while here & I just snapped on this guy. It wasn't really fair, but at the same time I have no idea what makes these people think it is okay to just blatantly stare at you. There is nothing pleasant about it, and although they may not mean to be critical, it certainly tends to comes across that way sometimes. So my true fiesty liz colors finally shone through.....I am sure you guys have all been missing her.
4 comments:
That's my Lizzy! You go girl...damn I miss you!!
But I so enjoy reading your blog, makes me feel like I still talk to you.
Love you,
Nancy
Did you make the guy cry a little? I wish I could have stared at you yelling at the guy staring at you!
Yikes, Liz! I can TOTALLY picture you getting all worked up like that! It makes me happy.
can't wait to see you and joe in minus 2 weeks!
I tried to make a comment yesterday, but my computer almost shut down when I tried to post it. I don't know if that is karma, but essentially, this reminded me of Hatfield's--G in the bathroom/buying scarves; me getting drinks; Joe back at 6436; and you berating a guy for thinking you were snobby.
angermgmt.com, liz.
Post a Comment