Tuesday, December 2, 2008

thoughts of thanks...a few days late

The past few days since Karla left have been an odd mix of emotions for me. Having had someone close here to visit & then leaving us to return home was much harder than I thought it would be. So instead of wallowing, I thought I would try to think of a few things i/we are thankful for during this holiday season, despite the fact that i may not actually be feeling thankful. I am hoping the exercise will help foster such feelings.

I am thankful for people who are patient with me as I butcher their language, yet still treat me with respect & respond to me in German because they know I am trying.

I am thankful for the gym. Although people still stare (today there was a blatant offender), it keeps me sane and always makes me feel better. I am also thankful for all the people who work there who are kind, helpful & tend not to stare.

I am thankful for our apartment, my growing body of clients & joe's big kid job (although he may not always feel so excited about it;).

I am thankful we have less clutter, crap & possessions in our lives to complicate things & frustrate us (hope your car is ok mom ;)

I am thankful for a full, long night of sleep which I am consistently blessed with.

I am really thankful for all the yummy foods that were sent from the US with Karla, although they were part of the reason I gained .4kg last week, so I may have to lay off them for a bit.

I am thankful for www.watchtvsitcoms.com so we can at least watch the office.

I am thankful for warm socks, for good smells (sometimes the bad ones are more common than the good ones here) & for my new coop supercard so the checker at the grocery store will no longer stare at me like i am an idiot when i respond "nein" to her inquiry if i have one.

I am thankful for snail mail, for skype messages, for emails, for your thoughts & your prayers.

We think of you all often, and miss you all like hell.

4 comments:

Bertucci said...

We miss you guys too. LOTS!

Mary said...

All I have to say is, "Two weeks from today, and you'll be home for a while!" Hooray! Can't wait to give you both big hugs!
Love,
Momma D.

Mary meell said...

I'm thankful for the entertainment you provide me when I read your blog. Liz you are a fabulous writer...
see you and Joe soon - love Aunt M

Daddyo said...

Yeh, I am such a bad internet person I was just reading this today and now it is one short week until you are home. Yahoo! I have been so excited reading and hearing about your guys adventures' and today reading was the first time in a while I teared up...excellent pics from Karla's stay!
Love,
Mags