Our weekend has been pretty action packed. Friday evening we went over to our friends' house for dinner. It was raining as we left the house, by the time we got off the train it was snow, and after we departed the bus it was really coming down. Lucky for us we walked the wrong way down their street for a while, so by the time we arrived we were pretty excited to get inside. It was just one of those nights that curling up inside the house seems like the best possible idea in the world, and yet we were out searching for our friends' house. Well, it was all well worth it once we arrived. David is Italian and Elena is Russian and they are just hysterical. We enjoyed fresh Italain cheeses (just smuggled over the border from their last trip to David's home), homemade Italian sausages, and wine from his parents' hometown. We were pretty sure we had died and gone to heaven, and then they began to discuss the second course (mushroom risotto)...and then whispers of a third (the most delicious stuffed tomato that has ever passed through these lips, even Joe ate 3....that's 3 tomatoes people). And, I had made cheesecake brownies for dessert. How another morsel could even fit in the warm, happily expanded bellies, I'll never know...
After such a gluttonous evening, we decided Saturday would have to be spent burning off a few of those delcious calories. So, we woke up early and headed out to a new skiing location, Brunni. The morning started out a bit rough, our first train connection was running behind schedule (this is Switzerland, so everyone, including Joe, was pretty outraged by this turn of events -- I believe this is the first time our train has been so late that we missed our connection). So, this one train put us an hour behind schedule. Then we arrived to Brunni & it looked a bit too intense for Liz after last weeks skiing adventure. At this point, crankiness was beginning to set in...but with the help of the one man who was selling tickets & working the snack booth, he told us about another more low-key area. We found the gondola and headed up there. As it was snowing on Friday night, the powder was fresh and thick & oh so much easier to stop on than the ice from the previous weekend. So, we skied around up there for a bit until we got bored of the run. Joe then decided he would ski down to the area where we began, clearly, it seemed to make sense for me to just take the gondola back down. But my confidence was back after some successful runs, so I thought, why not give it a try?! What a gorgeous, uncrowded, wooded run. A few areas made my heart skip a beat, but I had already decided if I got scared or moving too fast I could always take myself out in the soft powdery embankement (which is quite fun to be honest). So, finally we could see the ground opening up below us...I think Joe was as shocked as I was that I'd made it down. Of course, we did the run again, which was even more fun the second time when the twists and turns aren't quite as scary. This was the first time it was so clear to me why people love skiing, it can be fun, challenging & beautiful all at once. Maybe I will be able to get into this after all...
Then our friends Ryan, Stacey & their son, Chance came over for dinner to our house (the meal was nothing like Friday night, just shrimp fajitas;). So, if you want in true 5-year old honesty, an assessment of our house, "it's really small." Okay, fine. We are aware of this fact, we live here. However, he really found this fact fascinating as he repeated this over and over again, at various points throughout the evening. His parents were clearly embarrassed but one can't argue the truth, right?!
No comments:
Post a Comment