Of course, the day we left Locarno was perfect. How convenient of you weather. I am not sure if I should blame it on the weather, or the obvious lack of motivation & utter poor planning, but I really can't comprehend how we were in Locarno for 3 days. I am at a loss for what we acquired there, other than a nap (my first in a very, very long time).
There are a few things I can tell you. First, their public transport system is called Fart. The reasons for noting this are evident, I hope.
Italian men are shorter than I remember. Did I even call my brother internationally to remind him of this fact? Indeed I did.
Italian food can be crappy. As an Italian American born to a virtual kitchen god, I forget that Italian food can, in fact, be bad. Although, in my honest opinion, this is nearly as hard to accomplish as the truly delicious Italian. However, we found the place & we grumbled enough about it to make even my grandmother proud (although we did lay off her use of language about it, which really did have a way of driving the point home).
Notte Bianca means white night in Italian. One would assume that this would also include a certain amount of whiteness or light during the night. However, in Locarno all this really means is some terrible, local Italian musicians are going to sing while people get drunk in the streets (this part of the experience was more enjoyable than the music;). Plus, the inevitable, ridiculous outfits are always an enjoyable commentary. I could have gone for the advertised white in my night though.
There is some magical, delicious smelling bush that resides in Locarno. I know not what it is, but I did comment one of the many times I was intoxicated by it's smell, "i wish the blog could do smells." You all would love that, wouldn't you? Although, I'm sure I would exploit that option, and not in a positive way. You all know what I'm saying. If you don't: refer to the first item in the list.
Bellinzona, literally meaning beautiful, needed 3 different castles/fortifications to protect it during the 14th/15th c. I mean, sure, the place is nice, but 3 castles nice? That's just getting silly. (Can you imagine the taxes then?!) The redundancy of the castles is a bit maddening considering we could easily walk between all three of these places on the day after notte bianca (aka: notte my best day).
Old Italian men who are leaning out of their bedroom window waving don't mind if you want to take photos of their cherry tree, they just want to give you a toothless smile! Try stupidly to say something like 'bella'. Smile back!
No comments:
Post a Comment