Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Death March



I had arrived home to Zurich the night before from Greece at about 7pm, sans luggage. Not the best start to my 12 hour turnover before leaving Friday morning for London (I do realize I am bitching about too much vacation right now, I do). With Joe's help & patience, we got me packed & ready to go again.

I met Mom at our hotel early on Friday morning (almost 3 weeks ago!) after her long flight over the ocean. Our hotel claimed it was a 3 story, lift free establishment, with our room being on the top floor. I am not sure what counting school those people went to, but lugging Mags' luggage, as well as ours, up the 5+ flights of stairs was a great way to begin the trip. Just great. Additionally, I neglected to "fully plan" our first day in London. This led to a bit of aimless wandering, and perhaps a bit too much walking. We did pick up a great city map from an Asian travelbook that Mom found in the pagoda she is pictured in. Guiltily, we ganked the map & left the Chinese guidebook behind. Goodness, did that Asian map come in handy though! Mags jet lag didn't set in until about 3.30, but when it did, it hit hard. It may have been around this time that I was accused of "putting her on a death march". This just after we visited the Imperial War Museum (by accident, thinking it was the Churchill Museum) and were sombered by the well-done Holocaust memorial. Choosey Mom's, not choosing their words so well ;)

Joe arrived later Friday night & we kept Mags out & up until 10pm! Complete success. The rest of the weekend was spent hitting London's many hightlights, Tower of London, National Gallery, Tate Modern, Starbucks, British Museum, and finally on Monday morning after Joe left the dreadful changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace & Harrod's. Nothing makes it easier to say "bloody cheerio" (fyi cheerio is how the Brits say goodbye, explanation probably required as even Joe wasn't aware of this and he was just there..) than the Monday morning tube rush (one misstep & I swear, they would trample you to death, just to catch their connection), the insipidly stupid tourists & their idiotic comments while waiting for the guard to change & horror of the Diana & Dodi Al Fayed "memorial" in the lower level of Harrod's.
So, cheerio London, gruezi Switzerland!

No comments: