Sunday, August 30, 2009

It's Been a Long Time

We just officially celebrated our one-year anniversary of living in Switzerland. To say it's been a whirlwind would be putting it mildly. I was just looking back to last year's posts from this time and realized, humans are great at adapting. We've certaintly gotten used to quite a few things that we're originally shocking.
1. The cost, of everything from Starbucks to shoes to chicken or beef; I knew when I spent 11.60 on a pack of bagels & didn't even flinch, I'd become just a bit Swiss.
2. Not understanding what is happening around you. Previously frustrating or annoying, now just sort of blissful. Sort of like living in a happy, ignorant bubble.
3. Reach out & touch me. By now I have almost enjoy the cosiness (aka cramped) atmosphere of our apartment. We are both physically & emotionally closer because of it.
4. Chili's, Panera, Schnucks white long johns, Whole Foods; while we may still talk about the foods that we miss, and drool a bit, we've gone so long without it all now, it's sort of hard to reconcile with the fact that we used to eat out a lot & eat a lot while we were at it!
5. The trains, buses & trams; we've become quite efficient at managing all the public transport schedules, plus, we've encountered a lot more "interesting" people that way. This summer has been a bit warm, so hopping in the car & turning on the A/C would have been a delight, but why have A/C in the car if the house, gym, school & work don't have it? (In reality, I would take that Volvo / BMW in a heartbeat, though)
6. Skiing (Joe only); he never thought he would like skiing as much as he does. He is already talking about it again constantly. And although his Swiss co-workers say he looks like their "90 year old grandpa on skiis", he is more ready for another season (lucky me).
7. All you all. Of course being away from family & friends isn't easy sometimes. However, between Skype, emails, visitors & yearly trips home, we've gotten used to it. To quote a sage Mags, "WOoowww, one year already, I can't believe it! I hope all the years you are gone go by this fast."

No comments: