I arrived in Munich for my human rights class on January 3rd, interesting does not begin to describe the week so far. Firstly, it's bitter cold which has created some challenges. I was fairly certain I was going to lose a toe to frost bite yesterday when we were on a guided tour of Dachau. Clearly, my discomfort is ridiculously trite....a fact that I found interesting and often forget is the first victims of the Nazis were Germans. Any political opposition to Nazism were the first ones placed in the concentration camps for speaking out. Additionally, on a historical walking tour of Munich, I was shocked to learn that the Nazi party held beer hall meetings at the famous Hofbrauhaus and Hitler gave many speeches in the room we were standing in. Even our teacher was unaware of this reality which is fairly troubling regarding it's well known in our nation only as a place to drink beers as big as your head.
We also had the opportunity to visit two art museums with a guided tour. There were some beautiful Impressionist pieces in the second of the museums which I greatly enjoyed. Thus far all the site visits and activities that we attended have been phenomenal. The teacher does know how to set up meaningful activities, that is for sure. Beyond that, my positive comments are lacking - she is disorganized, cancels most every 'class' session, *(if you can call sitting in the hostel lobby talking class), and has worn the same exact outfit every single day (petty, i know). There are actually some really fabulous people I have met & even come around to enjoy some of those that originally I would have never anticipated enjoying. The experience has provided far less frustration than I had prepared myself for though, which is so refreshing & exciting.
I hope everyone else has been enjoying the first few days of the new year. Ciao ciao
2 comments:
okay, how does the teacher expect you to take her seriously when she wears the same outfit everyday and holds class in the lobby.
but for real I am very happy that you are enjoying your time in Munich, definitely sounds interesting!
I think these same judgments almost got us kicked out/into a bar fight at Hatfield's.
Post a Comment