As always, it was great to meet up with Karla in an 'exotic' (read blustery & cold) locale. We drenched up the sun on our first day in Edinburgh, huffed it up King Arthur's Seat, were nearly knocked off the side of the cliff at Tantallon Castle, ate some GBK (a UK chain that we're making a bit of thing of with Karla, how could we not, they have Oreo milkshakes after all), had a few drinks, some long chats and survived Joe driving on the wrong side of the road, on the wrong side of the car, in the rain with Karla navigating. No dramas. I really expected some drama.
On the other hand, Liam is all drama. He's working on some new tricks, taking a few steps, blowing kisses, saddling up to anyone, anywhere. In the past day (from what I've understood), he's been called 'very friendly', 'charming', had a minimum of 10 people point (responding to Liam's new favorite thing of pointing at everyone), wave & smile at him on public transport, played with a young student for 20+ minutes at Starbucks (resulting in highlighter on his face & hands), and scored us an offer of chicken fingers at the bar from a few guys who liked his Blackhawks jersey & the way his mom let him wander all over said bar with minimal supervision. So yeah, Liam is really showing me a new side of the Swiss, some happy little hidden corner in their beings that they keep tucked away. Maybe he's showing them a new side, too. Either way, I like seeing it in these people who I'd almost categorically written off as stodgy and unfriendly. And, of course, I love that it's Liam bringing that out of them. I really cannot imagine where he got this unbridled friendliness, but I hope to God that we & the world don't let him lose a bit of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment