Tuesday, June 29, 2010
So Trusting, It Makes Me a Bit Nervous.
Since we moved into the new place, I've been opting for more outdoor exercise. Finally, the weather is favorable for it & we are right on the hill. Turn left out of the house, downhill to the lake, turn right out of the house, and walk up, up, up and you can end up here, at the insanely expensive, gorgeous, Dolder Grand. If you are in the mood for feeling ill, check out the price list. Just a reminder of the serious cash many people around here have. The hotel looks out over the entire city, lakefront & is built right above a golf course (which, as Joe says, how can a golf course not make a place more beautiful?). It's Ahmazing. Really, I couldn't be happier with the new neighborhood. Joe made a comment one day that 'it's not that much nicer here.' But that's only because he only has seen from the tram stop to our house and then from the house to the tram stop. The real beauty is just up the hill a bit, and tucked away in corners, and hidden in the varied building facades. All places that my gimp can't get to quite yet. But soon enough. I wait anxiously for our evening walks again. But, I digress. One day as I am enjoying a morning huff up the hill, I chanced upon a cabinet filled with jams, juice concentrates, vinegars, dried fruits & other homemade concoctions. I've heard about & seen these types of things in the suburbs, farmers or flower growers, set up a stall & a lock box. You help yourself to the goods, and drop your francs in the box attached. It literally still blows my mind that in this day&age, one can leave their wares out, unattended & people will simply choose what they like & then pay the amount listed. So, I'm standing there, headphones in, mouth a bit agape, deciding which jam looks nice when all of a sudden a man is standing next to me, telling me in German that it's self service. I respond (in german!) -- I know, but I don't have any money on me. 'Oh, that's okay he's says, just take what you want now & come back later with the money.' This makes me nervous, my german fails me & I blurt out really that's okay, I just live a few blocks away I'll come back with money later. And, that's just what I did later that night when I selected this blackberry jam. It's seedy, and yummy. And it's made by a guy right up the hill. How freaking cool is that? Yeah, I'm officially a big fan of the neighborhood.
Another thing I'm a big fan of is the Genius Playlist option on the IPod Touch David gave us at Christmas. A bit sad that I've had this bad boy since Christmas and am just figuring out that it randomly generates playlists based on a selected song, but hey, better late than never. Plus, the more adept I become at it, the more I desire the phone version, so perhaps it's not such a bad thing I'm just getting into it now.
Lastly, I know some followers out there have been unable to use the comment function for varied reasons, so I changed the settings to allow anyone (not just registered users) to now be able to leave comments. Please, no rash of anonymous comments now with saucy language & excessive compliments. We already know we're awesome, no need to inflate our egos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
1) That really is an amazing hotel. I don't know if it's possible, but I think my mouth was watering at the chic-ness.
2) LOVE the little stand. LOVE LOVE the honor system! Nice selection on the blackberry.
3) You really just figured out the Genius feature? I feel like I failed you on that one. Sorry. It is the bombdotcom though.
4) I dont think your settings for comments has changed. I still need to do the word verification. Further, I think it's just a Google thing being wonky right now. I've had some trouble on others too (thought it was me, but now I know its not!)
5) This is a big request but could you maybe take some more pictures of your surroundings? Like a picture of the stand, golf course, etc.? That'd be super great to look at in night school.
Well, hellloooo Ducheks! I have been blog stalking for awhile now, but can finally comment and say hi! Liz, you're so good about blogging. I'm reallll proud of you for that. My blog gets updated about every 4 or 5 weeks. Switzerland looks amazing- I'm continually jealous of where you live and everything you get to experience daily! Obviously Zurich doesn't hold a candle to Nashville and its excessive amounts of cowboy boots and Wranglers, but still, I am jealous. Sorry to hear about Joe's knee. Hope he's back up and running (or at the very least walking) soon!
Hooray! I'm glad I can finally comment again! : ) Love, Momma D.
Liz - tjhanks for getting me back in to comment! I bet you can't wait to share the neighborhood with Mags! wishing I could see it too
love you both, aunt M
Post a Comment