Monday, October 13, 2008

we were "those foreigners"

We made our gajillionth trip to Ikea on Friday night to pick up a few more essentials: curtains (sorry neighbors, no more looking in at us as you walk by on the street), light fixtures (we were getting tired of carrying the one table lamp from room to room with us), etc. etc. No matter if we make a list or not, Ikea sucks you into their black hole vortex & we end up walking out with an excessive amount of crap. So, we purchased two huge bags full of stuff & a breakfast bar for the kitchen (which mind you, looked quite small in the Ikea showroom). So, the warehouse brings out our breakfast bar & it is absolutely massive (taller than Joe! & wider as well). It's about 10 minutes until Ikea is closing so we basically had no choice but to walk out with it. We have no car as many of you may know or assume, so I had to lug the bags (which left wounds I might note) and Joe is carrying the massive bar top. To get home from Ikea we have not one transfer but two. First the bus, then the train, then the tram, then the walk home. I think we may have considered abandoning the table top on the train....and the way people stare here --- they have no shame whatsoever. Often times I have looked at someone and thought what in the hell are they thinking? Well, that was definitely us on Friday night.

3 comments:

MK said...

Maybe you've been gone too long to remember, but we here in America have 'taxicabs', where a car can pick you up and take you to your destination for a small fee.

Does the most wonderful country/city in the world have these newfangled 'taxicabs'? Please note my past post of ranking Detroit and St. Louis as top cities in the world, and yes, I took in to consideration public transportation (namely, cabs, and of course, St. Louis has the terrifically efficient Metro).

Ahh, in all seriousness, I do have sympathy for you lugging all that biz home. As if Ikea-shopping isn't a task in and of itself, right?

liz said...

only problem is ikea is in the burbs & the cab ride would have cost about 75CHF which our cheap asses were not ready to part with over our 300CHF ikea purchases....at least our frugalness transcends borders

Daddyo said...

I'm with you cheap is good...now you can spend more money on beers or language class.
Mags