Monday, May 4, 2009

Another Rough Weekend

This past weekend Joe & I set off for another physically challenging weekend of riding around Lake Geneva. However, we only made it about 30km when the rubber met the curb & sent me carreening wildly out of control. The choice was fall into the street or the cement building. So, I went with the logical option; body check the building while on a bike. Obviously, the buidling won. I have a bruised hand & shoulder, a pretty deep cut on my inner thigh & a scrapped knee. Yes, a scrapped knee, really communing me with the kindergartners. When I regained my senses, I limped into a pharmacy where a lovely French woman took me into the back & just began to clean out my wounds. We could not communicate at all, but she kept speaking to me in French anyways. This was probably the only time French has sounded reassuring to me. Despite the multiple bleeding wounds though, the woman didn't wear any gloves --- I found out today this is quite common here, although I don't think I will ever get used to that...
Joe & I decided to still go to Evian for Friday night. So, we returned our bikes to the rental place & took a boat to Evian. On the boat ride over the cutest lil French girl started putting her face right up to mine, then decided to start stroking Joe's arm (luckily she realized not to touch my arm:). All of a sudden, she goes from stroking Joe arm to pinching him. It was really amusing. She got yelled at by her mother, but then she came back to kiss & high-five us. It was one of the cutest things and it kind of made me feel a bit less wounded & made me feel more ok with all the stares I was getting for my multiple wounds. People here really need to work on the tactful stare.
We had a nice night in Evian (where the water comes from), although I was not allowed in a pub because I was wearing flip-flops. WTF, reject me for bleeding, fine, but flip-flops, you're a pub! Don't get all snooty on me. But, I digress. The rest of the weekend was spent in Zurich, icing my wounds, relaxing & Joe attempting to help me wash my hair & put it in a ponytail (a skill he will need some serious practice on if we have any daughters).
Of course Callum's teachers think I am some sort of accident prone, abused freak as every Monday I come limping into the classroom. They are making me promise them we will stay in town for the next few weekends, which was the plan anyways, but I agree, we should lay low for a while...

1 comment:

Kristin Springer said...

you may have proven you're not graceful but you're certainly adventurous!

**this coming from a true bull in a china shop girl...poor charlotte!

Miss you and love you!