My commute to work is about 45 minutes, train & bus combo. I found it quite easy to occupy this time when I had interesting books, but the only one I have left which I haven't read is far too large to be carrying back & forth, but, I digress. One must always, always have a plan for what to do on the train. People will make small talk with me even when I look engaged in something, imagine if I was just sitting there with nothing in my hands. I mean, strangers will find one thing in common on a train & talk about it for the rest of the ride if the can. Take yesterday, I was on a crowded train coming back home from work & I was sitting across from a man & his mangy looking dog that drooled on my leg. The people across the aisle from us (strangers to each other just moments before) could not help but try to talk to the dog man about his dog. Dog man was not interested, so the other two commenced some sort of conversation about this dog. Interesting enough, this dog's only trick was: at every stop along the route, he would stand up & move into the aisle way, blocking everyone who was attempting to enter or exit the train car. And, without fail, every single person said to the dog; "Entschuldigung" (excuse me), last time I checked, dogs (esp. idiot drooler dogs) do not respond to niceties.
Right, so, morale of this story was supposed to be about things to do during the commute. There are about 3-4 different free papers in the area that come out everyday. They are, of course, in German, but some of them are quite amusing, despite the fact that we can't really understand much of the information. One day I will take some photos of these literary gems. The "meal of the day under 20francs" is always a real winner. Recently, I realized they have Sudoku in the back of almost everyone of these papers. Now, I know I am about 4 years late on the Sudoku trend, but I am suddenly engrossed by it. Numbers, the only universal language! However, I totally suck at it. I have yet to finish a leicht (easy) puzzle. The one time I did was sudoku online. I was so proud of myself. Until I realized, it timed how long it took me to complete the puzzle (thanks intranet). And, 98% of people finished the puzzle faster than I did. So much for that feeling of accomplishment. I am about to head out for work, and again attempt a Sudoku puzzle, wish me the best & hope for my sake that Sudoku makes me look too involved to talk to the one of many old dudes that is inevitably always sitting across from me.
2 comments:
I so feel your pain.....
I have tried to complete those damnable Suduko puzzles. At LAX, I once say a 15 yr old tattooed and pierced beyond belief, feverishly finishing a Suduko puzzle, and thought how hard can it be...Yikkees.
I should really be able to know who wrote this, and it does say that it was posted by Liz - but was this you Liz, or you, Joe?
I do love me some sudukos though. Makes my mind feel like it's about to melt, but that's fine.
Maybe you should take to crossword puzzles...if you can find some in English.
PS Things are looking really good on the blog lately. Nice and cleaned up with the links and the time on the side, and I think you've officially mastered getting the pictures and links embedded. Way to go!
Post a Comment