Friday, April 16, 2010

I may be special, and I don't mean that in the 'unique, neat, awesome' sense of the term (because clearly you all already know I am)

I woke up early this morning to the sound of someone watching TV in the living room. This was concerning on a variey of levels, most importantly being that Joe is out of town, 2 hours away by train & I'm pretty sure they don't run trains at 4am here. Additionally, as my co-worker said 'what burglar would break in, then sit on your couch & watch the tele? (She's Scottish, although in my book, that's still not a sufficient excuse for saying tele). I was thinking the same thing to myself as I lay there in bed, and then I realized I never closed the slingbox last night before going to bed. Therefore, when Ron turned on the cablebox/TV that our slingbox is linked to, our slingbox activated & I woke up to confusion, a tinge of fear & Jimmy Kimmel. Clearly, a successful day is in store for me.
Later in the morning in the midst of my stupid long commute (after missing my regular bus b/c the stupid train just sat 35 feet away from the station for no apparent reason) I'm on a different bus, sitting there, reading my book. We are pulling up to a stop & a child is screaming, a delighted, 'I love my life!' kind of scream. She carries on doing this for at least 10 seconds. Of course this distracts me from reading (as do old people, shiny things, and being late). So, I look up. Said girl is in her mother's arms, screaming happily & pointing, at ME. She keeps pointing, laughing, smiling & waving. Then, they start to get off at their stop & she starts yelling 'tschuss, ciao, tschuss.' (translation: 'bye, bye, bye') She proceeded (like all good Swiss people) to continue waving & yelling bye to me even after they had exited the bus. Her mother looked confusedly at me, like have you been sneaking my child candies? It took me a while to realize, but that kid totally knew me, you know, like in another life. No one is ever that excited to see me. I mean no one. Honestly, I'll do a test run tonight when Joe gets back from being out of town. The difference in reaction will be stark, to say the least.
Then, post-lunch recess was a bundle of dramas & annoyances. I think my brain was frazzled from all the crazy things I heard & stupid dramas. My fav little guy told me robots cut his grass and proceeded to tell me they live outside & are programmed specifically for his lawn, his mom just has to turn them on. I did not for one second question the validity of this information. Seriously, this kid is pretty much smarter than me. So, on the way back inside I saw this girl Ella who I had asked about 2 months ago if anyone ever just breaks out into song around her, "under my umbrella ella ella." She looked at me like I was special, then stated 'no.' So, today, as I passed her in the hall, I began singing 'under my umbrelllaaaa ellllaaa ellllaa,' the reaction was a mixture of disgust, annoyance & confusion; confusion as in, how is this, clearly impaired, adult let around children on a daily basis? Good question Ella.
For the kicker on my 'I have a love/hate relationship with public transport' emotion, my bus was late to pick me (note: it's all about me bus) up today. Then, every slowski in a 3 mile radius poked on & off the bus & those who weren't slowskies had to buy their tickets from the busdriver, slowing down an already agonizing 'am I going to make my freaking train?' situation. The clock on the bus read 1.27 as we were pulling up to the station (MY TRAIN LEAVES AT 1.28 PEOPLES.) In Switzerland the trains (unlike the buses) wait for no man, they leave ON-TIME. We pull into our spot & I start to run. A girl in tennis shoes sprints past me. My theory in this situation is complex. If the fastest person makes the train, then I'll be damned if I don't. So, actually not so complex. I'm in hot pursuit of tennis shoe girl. We sprint down the steps, then back up -- damn you stairs, I don't want to fall on you & die trying to make a stupid train. All of a sudden, we're on the platform. The doors to the train are already closed. Expletives race through my head. But, tennis shoe girl is still making a go for it, running to pointlessly touch the button to disengage the doors. However, by some faulty stroke of luck, the door opened, just as the train began to move. Tennis shoe girl jumped on. Fuck it I thought, I've always wanted to jump on a moving train, plus at this point it was moving about 3 miles per hour. I grabbed the rail & I was in! And then, a crazy Asian did it right behind me, totally eating it on the entrance to train steps as he/she jumped. I helped the Asian get in & shook a bit while trying to get the door to the train to close again as now we were actually moving & the last thing I want to do is fall out of said train I jumped into. Then, I sent this text message to Joe, 'i just jumped on an fing moving train no joke' Sorry, capitalization & grammar do not exsist in my text messages, deal. (question: Has he even called me for an explanation to this message which I sent over 1.5 hours ago? answer: no -- I think we all know how his reaction to seeing me today will stack up against 'little girl from another life').
All this to get home at my normal time & not 18 minutes later. And then all 18 mintues I saved + a lot more minutes were re-invested in this post to prove to you all why I'm clearly a re.

2 comments:

Daddyo said...

No in factiod you are the most special daughter I have.....fortunately you are the only daughter that I know of...well there was that time in Toronto, never mind about that now.
I am thrilled that you beat SSB at their own game...and by the way, please keep the signing to a minimum..
I love the shirt....thank you both !

MK said...

I'm about three weeks late on this post, but I love it! Sounds like you were living in bizarro world for a day OR had a r-t bagel for breakfast.

And you reminded me of our funny conversation at Atomic Cowboy about what we were in our past lives. I think you were a hippy, Gina was a cat, Joe was Bobby Fischer, and I was maybe Abe Lincoln? I keep have a similar experience with this admin guy at the law school - like I know him from somewhere, and I finally chalked it up to the past life.