Tuesday, July 20, 2010
OrangeCinema
Here we are on a gorgeous night in Zurich for the outdoor cinema. We arrived 1.5 hours early to get seats, only to realize Orange, a cell phone company here (ps what sort of name is Orange for a company?) hands out 'seats saver cards.' You write your name on it, then go to one of the many restaurants/bars set up around the perimeter & eat, drink & enjoy the evening. No need to hang by your seats, this is Switzerland people, the row in front of us, one lady left her purse to mark her spot. Her PURSE. I never get over this phenomenon. We ended up locating a few spots together in the top corner, but still a perfect view of the screen & surroundings.
Plenty of views of the lake & towns surrounding -- sail boats out for a late night cruise, people smiling, eating, enjoying life. There's not a single person in a grey suit anywhere. It's refreshing.
The screen as it's turning up to begin the endless previews before the movie begins. Somethings don't change. The moon reflected over the water the entire movie. Oddly enough, we both really enjoyed the movie, A Single Man. I had low to no expecations, but it was beautifully done. The imagery and music were powerful, some scenes almost felt too intimate, like I was peeking into someone's kitchen window and found this poignant expression of reality. Perhaps in a nasty, soda-pop sticky theatre, this movie would have lost some of it's appeal to me, but it just fit seamless into the evening and left me feeling stirred, sad & wondering, unlike any other film has for quite a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm so impressed! You guys never run out of new things to do and try! What a beautiful view of the lake, too! Enjoy every minute with Nick and Mags!
Love,
Momma D.
Wow, that's not an ugly view at all. I want to see that movie, too, but I probably won't enjoy it as much seeing as I won't have a spectacular lake view behind the screen. Also? I can't imagine leaving my purse unattended to reserve a seat. I like to think that I have a rather optimistic outlook on the good of the human population in general, but there's no way I would trust people to "do the right thing" and not rip me off.
Post a Comment