So, the whole "I don't speak German" bit has really been working to my favor lately. The other day a horribly creepy homeless man kept staring at me & speaking in German & I just pulled out my "Ich spreche nicht Deutsch" aka leave me the hell alone. And then today on a train I sat down across from what must have been a moderately handicapped man and/or totally drugged out guy that also began talking to me, while simultaneously hitting my leg with his foot. Again, "Ich spreche" to the rescue. It took into later this week to start running into these types of individuals, so for some reason, I had assumed Zurich didn't have them. But oh no, it's like any other public transportation experience, just might have to start implementing the IPOD to stave off some of the weirdness.
Enough of the odd duck report....it's been rainy here for about the past day, but a nice sprinkling type situation (I know you all (mom) in Chicago are desperately needing some rain, so I certainly won't complain about it). Although we did get soaked last night when we were out...luckily I had eyed some umbrellas in a grocery store, so now Joe & I are equipped with our own private umbrellas. And, of course, I misplaced mine today. I went down to the Bahnhof (the main train station) to buy tickets for our trip to Munchen Oktoberfest, which is at the end of the month. I was quite pleased with myself because A.) I was in the right place. B.) I have implemented the strategy of smiling at the person who is about to help me, it goes a long way in making them more willing to help me (aka speak english). After I purchased the tickets I walked out into the main station & realized, oh mother, I'm not holding my umbrella. So, I walked back in the room where I bought the tickets & didn't see it anywhere. Finally, I made eye contact with the man who had been helping me & he held up my umbrella & smiled at me. I had just left it leaning up against wall in front of his desk & someone had turned it in. Thank goodness, since we had just spent $17CHF on that bad boy last night, I would have been ticked if it already disappeared, but the people here are freakishly honest (from what I hear) and it proved to be correct in this case.
I have to go scout out an apartment that we may go view tonight, so I have to run. For those of you who make Duchek's Do Switzerland a normal part of your work day, hope it's a good one!
PS We found the bank chocolate in bar form at the grocery earlier this week for only 1.50CHF. HeyOh! We made the horrible error of looking at the nutrition information, luckily for us we don't really understand their kcal system, so we can just forget about it. Oh and, yesterday Joe got some Sprungli truffles from his counselor at work....I won't even go into those ;0)
6 comments:
I'm glad you're being nice to people, if only it is for your own gain. And you did have me on the edge of my seat with the umbrella story; I too would've been thoroughly bummed if you had actually left it there. I think we all know what would've happened if you left it at the Amtrak/Greyhound Station here in the 'Lou...
And yes I am keeping up everyday. So much so, that your title 'Construction and Church Bells' is a little open-ended, because you didn't talk about church bells at all. Unless I missed it.
Miss you guys like Bela Karoli misses coaching gymnastics!
the church bells constantly ring here & it's hard to get annoyed at them calling you to jesus, but i still do, but, as you know i am a bad person.
miss you like a swiss person in the US would miss bratwursts!
Hi Liz, a big hug over the pond, I like your stories... And I totally understand you. I felt the same as I came over to the US :-)) But here was no rain only f... 100 degrees... That's bad to, when you are not use to it.
Ich druecke die Daumen (Cross the fingers) that you will find a nice place, then you will feel more like home and when your personal stuf arrives it's getting ever better!
Have fun at the Oktoberfest! Ich sag nur 'prost!'
here's a fun svitzerland factoid for the day:
The Swiss national hero, William Tell, shot an arrow from his crossbow at 50 paces to hit an apple placed on his son's head. Why was he forced to do this?
For failing to bow to the Austrian colors. A hat with the Austrian colors was placed on a pole with passers-by ordered to bow. William Tell successfully shot the arrow from his son's head, but had hidden a second arrow destined for the district governor if he missed the apple and hit his son.
I know you are blown away by this factoid.
Enjoy your weekend and have fun getting slitcheled at Oktoberfest
Hey, what is this about getting annoyed about the church bells...you should go into one of those churches and check out what is going on. And please don't get too slitcheled and miss your train back home. Maybe as long as you are going you could pick Dad up a T-shirt or even better a beer mug...just make sure you pay for it...Liz this is just to make you feel like you are at home posted notes and all
LIZ!!
This Blogg is really cool...I will read it everyday.
Make sure you post some pics of the visit w/ Tara!!
Love ya
A
: )
Post a Comment