Friday, September 26, 2008

O'zapft is!

This Bavarian phrase, uttered by the Mayor of Munich last Saturday at 12 PM German time (12 PM on the dot) kicked off Oktoberfest 2008 at the Schottenhamel tent (where we will be). It basically means that the first beer tap, yes the Mayor taps the first keg, was successful and that all other tents may begin to serve beer. Not sure if he did a kegstand though....

A brief history lesson (sorry this can't be all fun and games):

Oktoberfest started in 1810 by Prince Ludwig I of Bavaria (not to be confused with Ludwig II, or Mad Ludwig, who built Neuschwanstein) married Princess Therese of Saxon-Hildburghausen and held five days of festivities, culminating with a horse race held just outside of Munich at an area called Theresienwiese, named in honor of the bride. The race was repeated every year and became known as Oktoberfest. The party soon moved to a 16 day festival, ending on the first Sunday of Oktober (therefore most of Oktoberfest is held in September). The Bavarians now call the area "Wiesn", introduced 1 liter beers (approx. 33 ounces) 1892 and starting constructing large beer tents in 1896

(ok that's enough)

As mentioned, we will be enjoying the festivities on Saturday at the Schottenhamel tent. We will most likely be without our Lederhosen and Dirndl, but we will be working on our German phrases, such as "ein Mass bitte" - a 1 litre beer please or "ein Haendle bitte" - half a roasted chicken please (we'll see if Liz when pushed to hunger from drinking opts for the chicken - bones and all) . I doubt we will have much of an opportunity to use our beginner German in further detail, but maybe we will pick up some other phrases along the way. I am most excited about the huge Bavarian pretzels as the ones in Zurich just don't compare.

Anyway, enjoy your weekends. We have an early train tomorrow and will be back late on Sunday. I'm sure we will have plenty more to blog about as well as some great pictures.

Schoen Wochenende

4 comments:

Mary said...

Hi guys! Hope you had a great time in Munich! We also celebrated (at the German Biergarten restaurant at Epcot) with a beer tapping ceremony, polka band, and great German food. Yes, Joe, the pretzels were great! Can't wait to hear more about your trip! Love, Momma D.

MK said...

I celebrated OkSOBERfest by partaking in sobriety in St. Louis. It was memorable, and I retained all fluids. AND I could drink chocolate soy milk in the morning without throwing up on a flight attendant (there's your shout-out, gina).

Hm, that was probably the best (and most costly) drunk dial I have ever received! And all for Fifty Cent. Too bad you don't know your rap:) I'm always happy to serve that purpose.

I would like to know:
a) How was IKEA?
b) When do you move in to your new crib?
c) Why you didn't post a blog yet? (This is really just a selfish thing because I was waiting/anticipating to read some awesome post in night school, in hopes of having to stifle my laughter during class, but alas, no new post).
d) When can I start using the new address? Probably now I assume?

Really good hearing your voices last weekend! I hope you recovered well, and had safe travels back to the big Z.

Unknown said...

Thank you for the lovely shout out megan, I always love reliving that moment I guess that is what I get for being a hater against Sister Hazel. And thank you Joe I have now been craving a big pretzel. Did liz give in to the chicken temptation? I am also patiently awaiting a blag post about the IKEA trip. The suspense! Anyway, glad to hear all is well with you two!

Mary meell said...

Liz and Joe - that was a late (or shall I say early) call you placed on Sat.night - sounds like the beer was flowing.... what fun! glad you got a place - can't wait to see pictures
from the looks of it German class is going great! kisses to you both,Aunt Mary